Awards and other Interesting Data for the CSSNM Show April, 2014
290 plants entered: 182 cacti, 108 other succulents
for comparison: || in 2013, 343 plants entered: 237 cacti, 106 other succulents
| ||in 2012,
412 plants entered: 264 cacti, 148 other succulents;
| ||in 2011, 414 plants entered: 282 cacti, 132 other succulents
| ||in 2010, 320 plants entered: 164 cacti, 156 other succulents
This year's show had many excellent plants, but had the smallest overall number of plants entered in many years!
Special Award Ribbons
- Sweepstakes Ribbon (for most blue ribbons) was won by Judith Bernstein & Daniel Finley;
- Cacti: Best Cactus was for Aztekium ritteri brought by Judith Bernstein & Daniel Finley
- Best Mammillaria was for M. lenta brought by Judith Bernstein & Daniel Finley
- the special award for cacti:
Gymnocalycium mihanovichii brought by Margaret Todd,
- Best Cactus seedling award was for Pediocactus simpsonii var. nigrispinus brought by Ralph Peters
- Best novice cactus award was for Opuntia artiodactylus brought by Chris Conway.
- Other Succulents: Best Succulent was for Commiphora oblanceolata brought by Woody Minnich
- Best Euphorbia was for Eu. obesa brought by Judith Bernstein & Daniel Finley
- the special award for succulents:
Aloe plicatilis brought by Judith Bernstein & Daniel Finley,
- Best Novice other succulent award was for Aloe barbadensis brought by Chris Conway.
Workers: the most important part, for the show's success
cacti: Steve Brack, Greg Smith, & Suzy Andrego (flower show)
other succulents: Bracy Womack, Joyce Hochtritt (J&J C & S, Oklahoma City), & Ellen Reed (flower show)
- Clerks An email request was put out for new volunteers for clerks to work with the judges,
and there was a wonderful wave of such volunteers.
Joan and Truel West, Brian Haney, Cheryl Haaker, Jan Wallace, Susan Latella, Chris Conway
Margaret Todd created 2 teams of 3 clerks each, with a more experienced monitor to aid each team:
Robert Perz and Beverly Rowe,
- Margaret Todd set up and ran the information tables, with help by others when needed, especially George Latella
- Robert Perz, Gary Hoe, and several others, helped (a lot) with show security
- Martha Parker was in overall care of the table setups and placements
- Tom Stewart and Rich Reif were in overall care of the cash registers
- while Gary Hoe and several others
helped directly with cash flow,
and of course Karen Cox handled all the final finances.
Below are some more general photos showing the success of the sale and the show:
- C.V. Porter saw that we were fed very well, and had help from several who brought food
- Ralph Peters did a great job with the publicity
- Penny Hoe, Woody Minnich, Greg Smith, Scott Jackson, AlLappin, George Latella,
Joe Mikulas, C.V. Porter,
Beverly Rowe, and others helped in various ways that were very important
- I apologize for the many others that made the show and sale very successful, whom I have failed to note!!!